My first thought is “2011 was a tough year.” Job changes, death, loss of pets, loss of dreams, illness…the usual unpleasantness that comes with life. As a born and raised pessimist, it’s my nature to dwell on the negative. And I do. Alot.
So, in the spirit of thankfulness, and recognition that I have far more blessings in my life than most, I wanted to make a list of wonderful, happy, joyous things that happened in 2011. It’s impossible to list them all, so I’ll name the biggies.
- Despite the odds, I found a job that fit every need I have (pays the bills, flexible hours, low stress). I’m 4 months in, and still enjoy it. (GASP!) And the time off between jobs that caused worries turned out to be relaxing, and fun, and exactly what I needed at the time. Funny how that works.
- The Emergency Room visit resulted in a few antibiotics, and a clean bill of health.
- We had given up hope on something we greatly desire, and although plans didn’t work out this time, we learned it’s still possible.
- I live in a beautiful home with a yard that affords me the opportunity to garden, spend time outside, undisturbed by neighbors and traffic. It has a leaky roof, but it’s warm, comfortable, and filled with love and laughter.
- I found a passion in building a self-sustained lifestyle that my husband shares. We have the foundation started to begin relying more on ourselves, and less on buying.
- Having a farm turned out to actually be possible.
- My garden. I love it. It brings me peace, serenity, and fulfillment. I learned so much about growing this year, and can’t wait to begin in 2012.
- Despite our losses, our lives remain full of love and support from family and friends.
- I celebrated my 2nd wedding anniversary with my very best friend, who understands me better than anyone else in the world, who loves me unconditionally, who makes me laugh on a daily basis, who has a heart of gold and has made me happy since the day I met him, and who I look forward to spending the rest of my life.
It’s the simple things that turned out to be the greatest blessings this year. Life couldn’t be better.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!