We had new Year’s Eve 2012 at our house this year. It was an hors d’oeuvre (who are we kdding, let’s call it finger foods) party. One of the things I made was baked crab rangoon. It’s a super easy, and super delicious recipe, but I had about half a pack of wonton wrappers left, hanging out in the fridge.
I also went a little hog-wild at the grocery store when I found organic, locally grown apples (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!) on sale.
I bought 10 pounds. (Apples store, right?)
We still have our canned applesauce and apple butter from the fall, so I didn’t want to make that. And, I’m trying to watch my weight, so delicious buttery apple desserts are out. Then it occurred to me… APPLE WONTONS!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Splash of lemon juice, or vanilla extract
- 24 wonton wrappers
HOW LONG IT TAKES:
- PREP: 10 minutes
- BAKING: 8-10mins
WHAT YOU DO:
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix apple, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Drop mixture into 1 wonton by 1 tsp full.
- Use finger or brush to apply a small amount of water to edges of wonton. Fold in half to form a triangle, press and seal.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
We ate ours with caramel sauce. But I bet they would be killer with some vanilla ice cream!